Unless otherwise specified, all writing here on my blog is my own original work. If you refer to something I've written here, please be sure to give me proper credit.

COMMENTS ARE MODERATED: Please don't let that deter you from commenting, though. I LOVE to read your thoughts! I only ask that you keep it clean & respectful.

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Day Nine - Five Things I Want to See Change

WOW! Where do I begin on this one & can I REALLY narrow it down to ONLY five things? Well, I'll give it a shot. (Some of these are just an extension of my view of paradise as listed a few days ago.)

1) An end to abortion - I've heard people say over the years that, while they think abortion is wrong, they don't feel it is their right to take away a woman's choice to have one. But, what about the child? Where is his/her choice?

What can we do? Above all else, PRAY. We have a little rubber-like baby who we have spiritually adopted. This is to signify a baby in danger of abortion. We don't know who he is, but we have named him Cameron. Each night we pray for him, his mother, & those encouraging the abortion. The munchkins take turns holding him during the prayer & when we are finished, each of us will kiss his little head & place him back on the shelf between our statues of Jesus & Mary.

2) Peace & kindness toward others - How many times have you let your lack of sleep or bad mood affect the way you treat those around you? You yell at the your husband or the kids, mutter under breath when that driver cuts you off, etc. Yeah, we've all done it!

What can we do? Follow the Golden Rule: Do Unto Others, As You Would Have Them Do Unto You! Smile at others. Just the other day, when going through the self check-out lane at a local store, the employee watching over the lanes looked grumpy & like she didn't want to be there. As we walked by, I smiled & told her to have a nice day. Immediately she smiled in return. It's amazing what just one little smile can do for someone!

3) Respect for all - There is so much disrespect in the world today. So many people are wrapped up in their own lives that they don't take the time to look outside of themselves. And just look at the way many children & teens talk to their parents & elders. It's shocking! I was listening to a re-play of Mother Angelica Live the other day & she referred to people following the earthly trinity of "Me, Myself, & I" instead of the Heavenly Trinity of "God the Father, God the Son, & God the Holy Spirit."

What can we do? It begins in the home. We teach our own children to be respectful at all times. I'm finding this to be a tough thing to do, but the alternative is learning outside the home & the examples out there are not great at all. Beyond teaching though, they won't learn it unless we demonstrate it ourselves. They learn more by our actions than our words.

4) Our political system - This one is quite obvious, so no further comment needed!

What can we do? Above all else, pray...not just for our leaders, but for us as voters. Pray for God's guidance before each election. Really do our homework so we know what we are voting for.

5) For people to use their money wisely (at home & in their jobs) - Our local school superintendent, who refused a pay raise last year, has been offered an 8% raise this year. From what I understand, she has declined any raises since she's been in the position. Because of that, her pay will gradually increase so that by 2014, she'll be making almost a quarter of a million dollars...WHAT?!?! Also, I just read in yesterday's paper that Chelsea Clinton's wedding this weekend will be between $3-5 million, about $6,000 per guest & $15, 000 in amenities (fancy transportable latrines w/ porcelain flush toilets, hot water, & music), & $150 per custom invitation...WHAT?!?! Can you tell this bothers me?

What can we do? Again, this is something that starts in the home. We teach our children money management skills. We don't give them Every. Little. Thing. their hearts desire or that their friends have. We show them how to save. We let them see us donating to church, charities, those in need.

I know there is a LOT of good in the world today, too, but the question was what five things I'd want to see change. These are some big topics & I know there are many people who may disagree w/ me, but this is how I feel. God Bless!

Want to join in this 30 Day Meme? You can get the complete list of daily topics HERE. Be sure to leave me a comment so I can read yours.

0 comments: