Unless otherwise specified, all writing here on my blog is my own original work. If you refer to something I've written here, please be sure to give me proper credit.

COMMENTS ARE MODERATED: Please don't let that deter you from commenting, though. I LOVE to read your thoughts! I only ask that you keep it clean & respectful.

Monday, July 26, 2010

Day Five - A Thank You Letter to Someone Who Has Changed Your Life

(I'm cheating just a bit & writing this thank-you letter to all four of the munchkins.)

Dear Prophet, Archangel, Princess, & Saint,

The four of you have brought so much into my life & changed me in ways that I could never have imagined before children.

You've helped me to slow down & look at the world around me through your eyes. For example, Prophet, when you were four years old, we passed a house that had a willow tree in its yard. You said, "Mommy, that tree looks like spaghetti!" Ever since then, I've taken the time to look at different trees myself & appreciate their majestic beauty. Daddy & I decided that each of you will choose your own tree for our future house in the country someday.

You've taught me what is truly worth worrying about. That broken nail or missed TV episode aren't such a big deal when your second child (Archangel) has jaundice & needs to be on a photo-therapy blanket for the first week of his life & a nurse has to come every day to take blood from his tiny heel, when he later needs hernia surgery at the age of two, or breaks his arm the day before I leave for a weekend trip w/ friends.

You've shown me how free it feels to sing & dance throughout the day. Music has always been a part of my life, & even though it's always playing somewhere in the house, some of the music w/in me has been put on hold while I've been raising all of you. Princess, you have reawakened my internal music. You have such a beautiful voice & I just love to hear you sing songs about God & someday becoming a saint in Heaven.

You've become great students & teachers in the school of life, showing that you're never too young or old to learn something new. Each day is a new adventure. Saint, watching you learn & seeing how much you really do understand at the age of two is astounding! Each day you're adding more to your vocabulary. You're very creative & can make almost anything into either a telephone or a gun (yep, you're all boy!)

You've helped me realize that I CAN make it through the day despite a sleepless night!

You've shown me what unconditional love & forgiveness are. Even when you've been fighting & arguing most of the day, when one of you gets hurt, the others are quick to sympathize & bring along some comfort (a stuffed animal, a hug, etc.) Or when someone in the neighborhood is picking on one of you, the rest of you are there to support your sibling. And no matter how strict I may be or how many times I may get angry & yell at you, you're always open to hugs & kisses.

Most of all, you've taught me what real prayer is. Prayers of thanksgiving for the beautiful children God has blessed & entrusted us with. Prayers of contrition...realizing that I'm not the perfect mother & never will be. I have, do, & will continue to make mistakes, but I apologize, you forgive, & we move on. Prayers of petition to keep our family safe & healthy, to help us through those sleepless nights, to help me be a better mother, & most of all, to help me help you get to Heaven.

Each one of you brings something special to our family. I love each of you so much & pray that we continue to grow together in our faith & family.

Much love & many blessings,
Mom

Want to join in this 30 Day Meme? You can get the complete list of daily topics HERE. Be sure to leave me a comment so I can read yours.

2 comments:

Angela said...

Why did I wait until I was in a public place to read this? Trying not to cry in front of a bunch of strangers.

Beautiful.

ViolinMama said...

This is gorgeous...wow. What a great letter. I'm glad something like this will force me to write a letter...seriously!!

Bless you!