Unless otherwise specified, all writing here on my blog is my own original work. If you refer to something I've written here, please be sure to give me proper credit.

COMMENTS ARE MODERATED: Please don't let that deter you from commenting, though. I LOVE to read your thoughts! I only ask that you keep it clean & respectful.

Friday, February 10, 2012

Friday's Fare - Parsnips

"Parsnips?" you say. Why yes, indeed! They are a new discovery for me & depending on how they are prepared, they can be quite delicious! They are similar to carrots, but have a bit of a bite to them...great flavor, IMHO! Here are three recipes I use. All make great side dishes.

1) Parsnip Mash (I found this recipe in a recent copy of Prevention magazine.)
Cut 1 lb of parsnips into small pieces. Cook in boiling water until tender (about 20 minutes). Mash to desired consistency with 1 1/2 tablespoons each of olive oil & grainy mustard. (I used stone ground.)

2) Roasted Parsnips & Carrots
Cut desired amount of parsnips & carrots into matchstick-type pieces. Coat w/ olive oil, salt, pepper, & any other seasonings of preference. Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes or until tender.

3) This last recipe is my favorite of all three, another roasted parsnips recipe. To save space, I'm just going to link to the recipe on Simply Recipes' website. I love, love, LOVE this recipe!

1 comments:

Kristen @ St Monica's Bridge said...

We are parsnip fans here! Or as my son calls them, white carrots!