Unless otherwise specified, all writing here on my blog is my own original work. If you refer to something I've written here, please be sure to give me proper credit.

COMMENTS ARE MODERATED: Please don't let that deter you from commenting, though. I LOVE to read your thoughts! I only ask that you keep it clean & respectful.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Small Successes

FaithButton

Danielle Bean says, "It’s important for moms to recognize that all the small successes in our days can add up to one big triumph. So on Thursday of each week, we do exactly that."

1) For about $35, I updated our decrepit couch. It was a 12 yr. old hand-me-down from my sister, so it's been through her four older boys & all four of our munchkins. At this time, we cannot afford to replace it completely so I improvised.

First to go were those torn, scrunched up back cushions.
See how they were ripped & pulling away from the back:
I replaced them w/ three floor pillows that I found on sale for $7.96 each (regularly $30 each). Then, I found a set of two throw pillows for $8. (Those spots are just from the camera.)
I finished off by doing some "behind-the-scenes" adjustments...a folded fleece blanket under the seat cushions to bring the middle up some and a couple of bed pillows & another folded blanket behind the back pillows (covered by yet another blanket). It is definitely much more comfortable & will get us by until we can purchase a new couch. I just love the splash of red!

2) I sewed something as soon as it ripped instead of throwing it in a pile to sit for several months until I would get around to it.

3) I started putting together a medical file for our family, something I've wanted to do for a while now. I've had everything in hanging files, but decided to create notebook w/ dividers for each of us & any articles I come across. It's a work in progress, but at least I've started it.

How are things going for you? Care to share? Faith and Family Live is the place to go every Thursday!

4 comments:

Monica said...

Great job on #s 1 and 2. Don't projects like that just make you feel really good. Props!!!

JJ's Mom said...

#3 is sooo important! When my first son had multiple medical issues another parent recommended that I start an ongoing document with all the pertinent information. It's come in handy on more than one occasion. Now we have one on everyone in the family.

Mary said...

That is awesome! The couch looks good and I'm bettin it's way more comfortable to sit on now. Creative solution!

Unknown said...

Great Job Mama! Loving the ingenuity of #1 and the importance of #3! Awesome, awesome, awesome! Have a fab week!