Unless otherwise specified, all writing here on my blog is my own original work. If you refer to something I've written here, please be sure to give me proper credit.

COMMENTS ARE MODERATED: Please don't let that deter you from commenting, though. I LOVE to read your thoughts! I only ask that you keep it clean & respectful.

Monday, January 3, 2011

Catholic Company Book Review - Raising Pure Teens

I just finished my most recent book to review for The Catholic Company...Raising Pure Teens by Jason Evert & Chris Stefanick. Now, I know some of you are thinking, "Hey, you don't have any teens yet. Your oldest is only 10 years old." And, yes, you would be correct, but that doesn't mean I can't prepare ahead of time! These days, children become exposed to sexuality at an earlier age & I would prefer to guide them along the right moral path sooner rather than later.

SUMMARY:
Jason Evert & Chris Stefanick are both chastity speakers. Together, they have come up with 10 strategies for talking to teens about chastity, incorporating the wisdom of the Church. Using statistics, real-life stories, humor, & metaphors, they give parents these teachings to implement w/ their teens. At the end of each chapter is a list a questions for further reflection. There are twelve pages at the end of the book that include a large variety of resources...texts, websites, & Church documents. Parents will realize that they are not alone. This book can give them the confidence to lead their teens to a chaste life in a sexually charged world.

MY THOUGHTS:
This small book is packed w/ much valuable information for us parents. I wish that many of these teachings had been explained to me when I was a teen. Don't get me wrong...I feel my parents did an excellent job in raising my sister & me. But, when we were growing up, we did not have to face many of the issues teens do today. Everywhere you turn these days, you are bombarded w/ sexually oriented advertisements, clothing, TV shows, sexting, movies, books, etc. The strategies outlined in this book will be a great help to counter those issues & guide teens along the right track towards chastity. This is definitely a book that I will be returning to as my children grow into their teens. Many of the strategies I can start right now to protect their innocence...praying, for instance! And if you're already a parent of a teen, it's not too late to restore their innocence.

This review was written as part of the Catholic book reviewer program from The Catholic Company. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on Raising Pure Teens . They are also a great source for serenity prayer and baptism gifts.

2 comments:

Judy Dudich said...

I loved your review...but I particularly loved your last line...that it's not too late to restore the innocence of our teens.
Thank you for this encouragement!

Brian O'Neel said...

Greetings in Christ. Thank you for your kind review of Raising Pure Teens. Although Catholic Answers publishes it, we at Catholic Word distribute it. We wanted to let you know that if you want us to consider you for complimentary review copies, please contact me at boneel@catholicword.com, and I'll get you squared away.

In Him,
Brian O'Neel