Unless otherwise specified, all writing here on my blog is my own original work. If you refer to something I've written here, please be sure to give me proper credit.

COMMENTS ARE MODERATED: Please don't let that deter you from commenting, though. I LOVE to read your thoughts! I only ask that you keep it clean & respectful.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

One Hour Isn't a Lot to Ask of Us

I know there have been discussions on various websites regarding the lack of respect many Catholics have for Mass & the Holy Eucharist these days. I've seen it in my church & you've probably seen it in yours, too.

First, there is the issue of clothing! Imagine you are going to a banquet & the guest of honor is Jesus. Knowing that He was going to be there, you would do your best to make yourself presentable to Him. You wouldn't wear ripped jeans, muddy tennis shoes, a revealing blouse, or shorts that would make the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders blush...would you?

Well, going to Mass IS that banquet & Jesus IS the Guest of Honor, yet there are many people who show up for Mass each week in clothes such as these & even worse. I don't know how many times I've sat near teen girls (even women, for that matter) wearing a spaghetti strap top w/ regular bra straps showing...a bra should not be seen in public, girls!!! I've seen mothers wearing short skirts & very low cut blouses. What kind of image are they setting for their children...not to mention the temptation they are creating for our priests?

It's bad enough when the congregation shows up wearing inappropriate attire, but what about when you are an Extraordinary Minister of the Eucharist? You should take even more care in how you dress because you are presenting Jesus to the congregation. I've seen EMs dress in ripped jeans (holey jeans are not "Holy"), T-shirts (& not just any T-shirts, mind you...these had skull images on them!), & one lady didn't even bother to take off her winter coat & scarf!

Speaking of the Eucharist...There are people who receive Jesus' Body, but completely ignore His Precious Blood as they rush right by the Cup. Even if you are not receiving Jesus under both, you should still acknowledge the Cup as you pass by...pause to bow or take the cup in your hands & bow.

Then there are those who receive Jesus in their hands, toss Him back like they're trying to swallow a pill then wash Him down w/ a huge gulp of the Precious Blood. Do you not remember your training prior to receiving your First Holy Communion? That is Jesus that you are receiving, not a pill to be washed down w/ water!

Ladies, during the Homily is NOT the time to make your grocery list or clean out your purse! (Yes, I actually saw two separate women doing these things.)

And for goodness sake...turn off your cell phones! It is extremely rude & distracting to hear the latest Lady Gaga or Justin Bieber song during the Consecration or when the priest or deacon is sharing his thoughts on the readings.

"So you could not stay awake with me for even an hour? Be on guard, and pray that you may not undergo the test. The spirit is willing but nature is weak." (Matthew 26:40-41) One hour on Sunday...one hour away from cell phones...one hour focused on Jesus, not our to-do lists...one hour to dress modestly...one hour to strengthen our souls for God. Is that too much to ask? I think not!

God Bless & Strengthen You!

1 comments:

Angela said...

Even though I'm not a church goer anymore, I still appreciate this post.

When I was a teenager, I desperately wanted to wear jeans to church. My friend Heather and I decided to do it one day. We felt AWFUL! I couldn't wait for it to be over. I was so embarrassed!