Unless otherwise specified, all writing here on my blog is my own original work. If you refer to something I've written here, please be sure to give me proper credit.

COMMENTS ARE MODERATED: Please don't let that deter you from commenting, though. I LOVE to read your thoughts! I only ask that you keep it clean & respectful.

Friday, January 7, 2011

My Focus Word for 2011

My dear friend, Angela, wrote up a post on her blog (Pretty in Orange) about choosing a focus word for the year. When she first wrote about it last year, I'd thought about it, but never followed through. I've come up w/ one for this year, but first a little background to picking my word.

Last night, while I was rocking The Saint, I was thinking of & praying for the munchkins. I started thinking about the kind of memories I'm leaving for them & I wasn't too happy w/ what came to mind. While there are many times that I do focus on them, there are just as many where I tend to be selfish & less involved. And I always seem to have some excuse...I haven't slept well & am very tired, the house is a mess & needs to be cleaned, I'm stressed/worried about something, etc. Do I want my munchkins' memories to be of me as a tired, stressed out mom or a fun, loving, involved mom?

I have a tendency to not be "in the moment" most of the time. I'm always thinking ahead & while that is not always a bad thing, it can be when you're missing out on what's right in front of you. All my life, I've lived for the next big thing. At age 12, I started counting down to the day I'd turn 16 so that I could drive. In high school, I looked forward to the prom, vacations, or going off to college. It was always about what would happen next instead of enjoying the moment.

Things I currently tell myself include:

~ Once I get the house cleaned completely, I'll have more time to spend w/ the kids (but w/ four munchkins, the house will NEVER be completely clean & organized, will it?)

~ Once we get all our bills paid off, we'll be able to live more comfortably, move to a larger home further in the country, & not worry about finances (but then there's always something that comes up, isn't there?)

~ Once we get The Archangel's ADHD/aggression under control, then peace will reign in our house (but there will always be a new phase of childhood development that we'll need to focus on, won't there?)

The list could go on & on, but you get the point. I'm always looking towards getting through whatever situation we're currently facing only to find a new situation arise...many times overlapping the one we're currently in. Yes, I know...THAT'S LIFE, but that doesn't automatically change my way of thinking. I realize that I need to change that perspective & that's the first step in solving any problem...recognizing that there is one!

So, in an effort to be more "in the moment," I've decided that my focus word for 2011 is going to be EMBRACE.

Embrace, as a verb, means several things & the following are the ones I'm focused on:

~ to take or receive gladly or eagerly; accept willingly
~ to take in with the eye or the mind

I fully intend to EMBRACE the moments throughout this year. I know this will not be an easy task for me & will require much prayer on my part. If you could spare a prayer or two for me also, I'd really appreciate it.

Now, I'm off to EMBRACE some quality time w/ the munchkins. How does a game of Apples to Apples sound?


3 comments:

Angela said...

Very good word and very good logic :D

Unknown said...

I love love love your word! Thank you for sharing,

genevieve said...

So inspiring, I am reminded of how many excuses I give for not living in the moment as well. Thanks for sharing!