Unless otherwise specified, all writing here on my blog is my own original work. If you refer to something I've written here, please be sure to give me proper credit.

COMMENTS ARE MODERATED: Please don't let that deter you from commenting, though. I LOVE to read your thoughts! I only ask that you keep it clean & respectful.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Day 12 - Your Favorite Musical Artist's Life Story

I'm modifying this topic a bit. Although I've always loved music (& even studied music ed in college) & have some favorite musicians, I don't really have a life story of one to share. If you follow my blog, you'll know that I was on an autobiography kick recently. I read numerous great ones, but the one I found most intriguing was The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. So, instead of a musical artist's life story, I'm going to share the review I did a couple months ago about this book.

I didn't know who Jeannette Walls was, but her story sounded intriguing...a child of nomadic parents who had some strange ideals on life & raising children. Her father considered himself an inventor of sorts & was always looking for that big gold strike. Her mother was an artist, who preferred painting over cooking meals & was an "excitement addict." Despite the drunken episodes w/ her father, the lack of parenting skills causing the children to fend for themselves, & the constant moving to avoid the law, tax collectors, etc. (usually in the middle of the night), she & her siblings found ways to make it on their own. Her father was a smart man, & even when the children were not in school, they learned a lot just by living & exploring the world around them.

She has gone on to become a journalist & contributor to MSNBC.com. Many people would consider her childhood years full of abuse & neglect. She didn't see it that way, though. Through her vivid descriptions of life w/ her parents, you can tell that she felt loved by them & loved them greatly in return.

Want to join in this 30 Day Meme? You can get the complete list of daily topics HERE. Be sure to leave me a comment so I can read yours.

1 comments:

Gardenia said...

I've heard of this book. did not know what it is about. thanks for the review.