Unless otherwise specified, all writing here on my blog is my own original work. If you refer to something I've written here, please be sure to give me proper credit.

COMMENTS ARE MODERATED: Please don't let that deter you from commenting, though. I LOVE to read your thoughts! I only ask that you keep it clean & respectful.

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Anniversary Celebration for My Parents

HandyGramps & HelpfulGrammy
June 1966

As I mentioned before, HandyGramps & HelpfulGrammy recently celebrated their 45th wedding anniversary. Last night, their parish held a special Mass & dinner reception in their honor, as well as an early celebration of HandyGramps 30th diaconate anniversary. The celebration was wonderful & full of love. It was amazing to see how many people showed up to show their love & support for my parents' many years together.


HandyGramps preached the homily for the Mass & the readings for the 15th Sunday in Ordinary Time were perfect for their celebration. He talked about the many types of seeds that can be planted & tied it in w/ the seed that took root some 60 years ago when the two of them played together as children. I think it is so sweet that they shared an aunt & uncle, so they'd known each other for a long time. (They didn't officially date until after high school.)

My sister & I decided to write a tribute to our parents to read during the reception. We received a lot of laughs, as many of the guests could relate & had heard similar comments from their parents. The first part was a compilation of poems she had found that talked about things parents teach their children. It included things like:

My parents taught me RELIGION: You better pray that will come out of the carpet.

My parents taught me about TIME TRAVEL: You better shape up or I'll knock you into the middle of next week.

We followed the poem compilation w/ some things we personally learned from our parents:

The Value & Importance of Education

My Sister: They would not give the answer to our questions; we had to look them up in the dictionary or encyclopedia (this was way before the internet!)


Me: In second grade, I used to write my sentences w/ the words close together. To demonstrate how difficult this was for my teacher, Dad wrote a sentence w/ the words pushed together & asked me to read it.


Creative Discipline

My Sister: If you slam your bedroom door one too many times, it WILL be removed from its hinges for about a week!


Me: If you are asked where your sister is & you reply that you don’t know or care, you WILL be required to report her whereabouts every ½ hour for the rest of the day.

I remember one time I told Mom that I would NEVER tell my kids “No!” when I grew up. I’m sure my kids will tell you that is definitely not the case these days!


Household / Helpfulness

As we’ve gotten older & are running our own homes, we still ask for Mom & Dad’s assistance at times. It may be babysitting, picking up something from the store, running one of the grandkids somewhere, repairing or replacing household items (& learning a few “not-to-be-repeated” phrases in the process). I like to joke that when something needs fixed, we just call 1-800-CALLDAD. On my blog, I use code names to protect our identity! Because I’ve referred to Mom & Dad frequently, I felt they needed some names too. So, they became HelpfulGrammy & HandyGramps.


Closing:

Jesse Jackson once said "Children need your presence more than your presents." Mom & Dad surely exemplified that. Mom didn't work until we were both in school & even then, she was home by the time we got home. We took yearly vacations, had dinner as a family most every night, spent time w/ extended family on most weekends, played games, & laughed a LOT, right Mom?



Exchanging cake bites 45 years later...
Yes, they were very nice about it!

I put together a couple of collages for them also. One was for HandyGramps 30th diaconate anniversary. His actual anniversary isn't until January, but their parish wanted to combine the celebrations & thank him for his many years of service. And technically, he IS in his 30th year as a deacon, right?


The other collage was for both of them as a couple. It included b&w photos of them as children, early snapshots from the 70s & 80s as my sister & I were growing up, & more recent ones of all of us, grandkids included.



Overall, it was a wonderful evening celebrating two wonderful people! They deserved all the special treatment they received. I am proud to be their daughter & to be able to call them Mom & Dad. I am thankful for all the love, discipline, & guidance they've given me over the years.

Many Anniversary Blessings for you,
HandyGramps & HelpfulGrammy!
I love you both!

3 comments:

Judy Dudich said...

God bless your parents and very HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to them! AND to your Deacon Dad!
The photos here and in the post above are so beautiful!
Your childhood and family life sound very BLESSED.
No wonder you are such a loving mommy.

Maria said...

Thank you for your sweet words, Judy! I do have many wonderful memories & truly feel God blessed me when He trusted me to their care.

I will pass your blessing on to them.

Angela said...

You do have such wonderful parents, and you are a great parent as well. What a lovely tribute to them - and funny, too!