Unless otherwise specified, all writing here on my blog is my own original work. If you refer to something I've written here, please be sure to give me proper credit.

COMMENTS ARE MODERATED: Please don't let that deter you from commenting, though. I LOVE to read your thoughts! I only ask that you keep it clean & respectful.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Catholic Company Book Review - The Bible's Best Love Stories

For as long as I can remember, I've been a romantic! Give me a love story over science fiction or adventure any day. Although some romances can fall within the sci fi realm (for example...my favorite movie Somewhere in Time...Christopher Reeve's character finds a way to go back in time to meet Jane Seymour's character, his true love.)

So, when I saw the title of Allan F. Wright's book, The Bible's Best Love Stories, in the list of selections from The Catholic Company's book reviewer program, how could I pass it up? Before I started to read it though, I sat down & listed ten stories from the Bible that I thought might be in his book. (FYI - Only five of them were there!)

Mr. Wright includes 20 heartfelt stories from the Bible, each one different from the others. He gives each story in his own words with his thoughts & reflections. At the end of each chapter is prayer & quote related to the story, reflection questions, & a "Love Connection" to put the reading into practice in your own life. These are thought provoking questions, but not extremely difficult. This book can be used for individual use or in a small setting.

One of the things I liked was Mr. Wright's choices for the love stories. He talks about the different types & translations of love - agape, eros, philia, ahava, hesed, & rahamin. Therefore, they're not just romantic love stories, but stories of love in friendships & families as well. For example, he writes of Adam & Eve, Mary & Joseph, as well as Ruth & Naomi, the whole book of The Song of Solomon, and Jesus & Peter. When you really stop to think about it, isn't the whole Bible the ultimate love story? It's the story of God's love for His people!

This review was written as part of the Catholic book reviewer program from The Catholic Company. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on The Bible's Best Love Stories and be sure to check out their great selection of baptism gifts while you are there. And don't forget, Christmas is coming up soon, too!

0 comments: