Unless otherwise specified, all writing here on my blog is my own original work. If you refer to something I've written here, please be sure to give me proper credit.

COMMENTS ARE MODERATED: Please don't let that deter you from commenting, though. I LOVE to read your thoughts! I only ask that you keep it clean & respectful.

Sunday, March 1, 2009

First Sunday of Lent Reflection

As I mentioned in several previous Small Successes posts, I wrote the reflections that will be going into our church bulletins for March. Since today is the first Sunday in March, my first reflection went in. I thought I would post them here also.

Readings for Sunday March 1: First Sunday of Lent 2009
Genesis 9:8-15 / 1 Peter 3:18-22 / Mark 1:12-15

The 3 "R's" - Relationship, Repair, Reconcile
In the first reading, God establishes His covenant with Noah - never again will He flood the earth. This covenant strengthens their relationship and in turn, strengthens ours. But, we were born sinners. Paul, in the second reading, talks about cleansing or repairing our relationship with God. Through Jesus' death & resurrection (and only through Jesus) we are cleansed of our sin. Jesus suffered for us to lead us to God. The Gospel talks of our reconciliation with God. We must repent of our sins and ask God to always be with us to help fight temptation.

As we begin this season of Lent, how do you feel about your relationship with God? What can you do to repair your relationship?

What does Jesus' suffering mean to you?

0 comments: