Unless otherwise specified, all writing here on my blog is my own original work. If you refer to something I've written here, please be sure to give me proper credit.

COMMENTS ARE MODERATED: Please don't let that deter you from commenting, though. I LOVE to read your thoughts! I only ask that you keep it clean & respectful.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Catholic Company Book Review - Saint Who? by Brian O'Neel

I recently finished Saint Who? 39 Holy Unknowns, written by Brian O'Neel...my newest review book for The Catholic Company.

There are thousands of saints recognized within the Catholic Church. Mr. O'Neel has researched 39 saints & blesseds who are not as well-known, but are no less important, than perhaps St. Francis of Assisi, St. Therese of Liseaux, or St. Augustine.

Here, in this book, we learn about St. Pietro Parenzo...a politician in Heaven, The Martyrs of Otranto...known as the Bravehearts of Italy, & St. Mary Helen MacKillop...canonized in 2010 & had been excommunicated at one point during her life, just to name a few.

Each section includes the saint or blesseds name, date of birth & death (if known), canonization date, & a description of what lead to their holiness as a saint or blessed. There is a conversational tone to Mr. O'Neel's writing, which makes for an easy & interesting read. I almost felt like I was sitting in the same room w/ him as he told stories of these great men & women.

I really enjoy reading about the lives of our Catholic saints & this book was no exception. One thing that struck me right away was the Dedication at the front of the book. Usually there is just a short dedication that barely takes up a few lines w/ just a name or two on a page in most books. Mr. O'Neel's was two pages long & after listing his wife & children, he honored his high school AP English teacher. His description of this man makes me wish that all students could have a teacher like him! Reading this Dedication lead me to know for certain that I was going to like the book in its entirety.

This review was written as part of the Catholic book reviewer program from The Catholic Company. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on Saint Who?. The Catholic Company is also a great online store for all your Catholic gift needs, such as baby baptism and christening gifts. You can also find a wide selection of Catholic Bible Studies for both parish groups and individuals, as well as a variety of other Catholic Bible study resources.

0 comments: