Unless otherwise specified, all writing here on my blog is my own original work. If you refer to something I've written here, please be sure to give me proper credit.

COMMENTS ARE MODERATED: Please don't let that deter you from commenting, though. I LOVE to read your thoughts! I only ask that you keep it clean & respectful.

Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Catholic Company Book Review - The Power of the Sacraments by Sr. Briege McKenna

The Power of the Sacraments by Sr. Briege McKenna, O.S.C.

Physically, our veins carry blood throughout our bodies from our hearts. Without that blood, we would cease to live. In the spiritual sense, we also have something to sustain us..."The sacraments are the veins that flow with life." (pg. 3) These wonderful gifts from God give us supernatural life - the grace to live in holiness.

This book is a quick, easy read - only 64 pages that I read in less than two hours. Using comparisons of the physical and spiritual sides of life, Sr. Briege McKenna, O.S.C. gives readers a greater appreciation of the sacraments. These comparisons help us to see the importance of the sacraments in our lives. For example, we can be physically ill through sickness or injury and need medicine to heal us. Spiritually our souls can be sick, pulling us further away from God. The Sacrament of Reconciliation is the healing medicine needed to make us spiritually well.

Each chapter, in addition to information about the sacraments, includes special stories and miracles from Sr. Briege's own experiences. Through her work, she has seen firsthand how powerful the sacraments really are and she has generously shared those with us. Now that I've read this book, I hope that I, too, will be able to witness the strength of the sacraments in my own life & the lives of those around me.

This review was written as part of the Catholic book reviewer program from The Catholic Company. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on The Power of the Sacraments. They are also a great source for serenity prayer and baptism gifts.

0 comments: