Unless otherwise specified, all writing here on my blog is my own original work. If you refer to something I've written here, please be sure to give me proper credit.

COMMENTS ARE MODERATED: Please don't let that deter you from commenting, though. I LOVE to read your thoughts! I only ask that you keep it clean & respectful.

Friday, June 19, 2009

A Book Review

Now I am not one for fad books. You know the ones I mean - everyone is reading them because Everyone. Is. Reading. Them! That's how I felt about The Shack by William P. Young at first. "It's one of 'those' books," I thought. Then I took a good look at the people recommending it to me - close, Catholic friends who are not "everyone." After receiving a copy for Christmas, I dove right in & for once, I was glad I went for a fad!

Description: Mack is a father of five. His youngest daughter was kidnapped & murdered while they were on a family camping trip. He struggles w/ a range of emotions - guilt, frustration, anger, sadness. Several years later, he receives a note from God, asking him to come to the shack - the place where evidence to his daughter's murder was found. After much deliberation, he decides to go, hoping he'll finally get some answers to her death. What he gets & finds is a whole lot more & goes much deeper! He encounters the Holy Trinity & discovers that God the Father, God the Son, & God the Holy Spirit are not quite how he's pictured them his whole life.

From the back cover: "In a world where religion seems to grow increasingly irrelevant, THE SHACK wrestles with the timeless question: Where is God in a world so filled with unspeakable pain? The answers Mack gets will astound you & perhaps transform you as much as it did him."

This is a deep, thought-provoking book. No matter where you are in your walk w/ God, the book will meet you along that path & carry you to a deeper level. My Small Church Community is reading it together, now that we've each read it on our own. It's interesting to share various parts which speak to us & see how we've been helped on our individual journeys.

Side Note: It is not a Catholic book & I know some of the thoughts &/or descriptions are not the Catholic view of things. However, I feel strong enough in my faith & the Holy Spirit has guided me through it & my faith journey. Also, other than one couple I know, everyone I've talked to who's read the book is Catholic.

0 comments: