Unless otherwise specified, all writing here on my blog is my own original work. If you refer to something I've written here, please be sure to give me proper credit.

COMMENTS ARE MODERATED: Please don't let that deter you from commenting, though. I LOVE to read your thoughts! I only ask that you keep it clean & respectful.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Sister Agatha Series of Books

As I mentioned in Small Successes recently, I happened to stumble across a new book series at the library a couple weeks ago & am already halfway through the fourth one (there are five so far). It's the Sister Agatha series by Aimee & David Thurlo.

Sr. Agatha is an extern nun at a cloistered monastery in New Mexico. She & the other extern are the only ones to be the go-betweens for the outside world. Prior to becoming a nun, she was an investigative reporter & a not-quite-so-angelic person. Each book has her using those skills (the investigative ones!) to solve a variety of crimes & such. The monastery has an old Chrysler station wagon that just barely gets them around. The nuns have named it the "Anti-Chrysler" because it's constantly breaking down.

I'm not usually into mysteries, but this series has held my interest quite well. She's quite spunky! I've gotten several great quotes on faith in the books. Here are the books in order, in case you're interested:

Bad Faith
Thief in Retreat
Prey for a Miracle (yes, I spelled "prey" correctly)
False Witness
The Prodigal Nun

Quotes from Sr. Agatha (I love all of these, but especially the last one):

"What we know to be true isn't always dependent on what we see."
(on faith & being optimistic from Thief in Retreat)
"It's just hard to belive in the extraordinary - particularily when it happens in the midst of very ordinary life."
(on some people's lack of faith from Prey for a Miracle)
"Sometimes people lose their way, Pax (the monastery's dog - a former police dog). All we can do is pray and leave the matter in God's gentle hands. That battle isn't ours to fight."
(on trying to convince someone that God does care & does answer prayers from False Witness)
Happy Reading!

0 comments: