Unless otherwise specified, all writing here on my blog is my own original work. If you refer to something I've written here, please be sure to give me proper credit.

COMMENTS ARE MODERATED: Please don't let that deter you from commenting, though. I LOVE to read your thoughts! I only ask that you keep it clean & respectful.

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Book Meme

Anne at Catholic Mommy Brain www.catholicmommybrain.com/2009/04/23/book-talk-thursdays-a-fun-book-meme/ posted this book meme on her blog & it sounded like fun, so here's mine:

Include up to 3 answers each if you like. Consider the Bible or other religious texts a gimme.

1. Most treasured childhood book(s)? Bridge to Terebithia is one that comes to mind at the moment. The Sweet Valley High series, until it got to book 25 & the twins were still only 16 years old. After all, how much can happen to them in just one year?!? As a mother now, I’m finding that I love Tomie de Paola’s stories & the Berenstain Bears. Thankfully the munchkins do too & always get both from the library.

2. Classic(s) you are embarrassed to admit you’ve never read: I didn’t read the complete Chronicles of Narnia until last year. (Why did I wait so long?)

3. Classic(s) you read, but hated? The Scarlet Letter – had to read it in high school & I just didn’t care for it at all

4. Favorite genre(s)? Catholic spiritual; Christian novels; children’s classics

5. Favorite light reading? Nicholas Sparks; Katherine Valentine; Jan Karon’s Mitford Series

6. Favorite heavy reading? None at the moment – my mind is too tired to focus on anything heavy (although, I just started trying to read the Bible & Catechism in one year)

7. Last book(s) you finished? The Sister Agatha series by Aimee & David Thurlo; Left to Tell & Led by Faith by Immaculee Ilibigiza (what an amazing inspiration in faith & forgiveness!)

8. Last book(s) you bailed on? I can’t remember the name of it, but it was something by George Weigel that a friend let me borrow. I just couldn’t get into it – too deep for my mushy mind at the time!

9. Three books on your nightstand? None on my nightstand – Because The Saint sleeps in an open closet in our room, I don’t read up there. I do have some on my living room end table & on top of the computer desk! I am currently reading Rediscovering Catholicism by Matthew Kelly & am finding it quiet inspirational. I also just picked up Pope John Paul II’s Love and Responsibility at the library.

10. Book(s) you’ve read more than once, twice or three times? Do the books I read over & over to the munchkins count? I didn’t think so! The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe; Bringing up Boys by Dr. James Dobson

11. The book(s) that meant a lot to you when you were younger (ie, college/young adult): I really didn’t read much that had deep meaning to me then, mostly novels to get away from studies & work stresses. So, nothing stands out for this question.

12. Book(s) that changed the way you looked at life? Wow! There are definitely a lot to list here, but I’ll just list a few. Both of Immaculee Ilibigiza’s books; Rediscovering Catholicism by Matthew Kelly (even though I’m not done yet); The Shack by William Young (I know it’s not Catholic, but it is quite thought provoking & my Small Church Community is currently reading & discussing it.)

Post a comment if you do one so I can check yours out!

1 comments:

Anne said...

Oh man! How could I have forgotten about Sweet Valley High??? Oooh and I have got to read Immaculee's books. Thanks for keeping the fun going!