Unless otherwise specified, all writing here on my blog is my own original work. If you refer to something I've written here, please be sure to give me proper credit.

COMMENTS ARE MODERATED: Please don't let that deter you from commenting, though. I LOVE to read your thoughts! I only ask that you keep it clean & respectful.

Friday, February 5, 2010

Spending Time With My Lord - A Special Meme

Judy has tagged me once again for a meme. I LOVE this one!

If you could witness any moment in Christ's life, what would it be? You get to choose three. This is a wonderful meditative exercise.

Here are the rules for Michael's meme:
* To make this a bit easier, you can choose 3 one-hour time periods. (Your "top 3," if you will)
* To make things harder, you cannot choose His birth or any time period from the Last Supper on.
* If you have a blog, post this question & rules, then answer it there. If you would rather not spend a post quenching my curiosity, or if you do not have a blog, feel free to post your answer in the comments section here.
* Go to REACH PARADISE BLOG and leave Michael a comment with a link to your post.
Tag 3 other people to do the same.

This was tough to do. There are SO many moments in Jesus' lifetime that I would love to visit. These are the three I've narrowed it down to, after MUCH reflection.

1) Presentation in the Temple - This story struck me when I read it in Tuesday's readings. As a new mother, how would I react? A complete stranger comes up to me, takes my son in his arms, prays that he has seen God's salvation, & proceeds to tell me of the sorrows to come. Could I be as mild as Mary or, in this day of many lawsuits, would I be calling a lawyer?

2) Visit with Martha & Mary - I identify with both. I am Mary when I want to spend time with my family & not other with household chores. Martha takes over when we are having guests. I spend so much time trying to make the house presentable, then am too tired to really enjoy their company. I imagine Jesus would tell me to relax, know my duties, but not let them run my life. "I am here to visit with you, not evaluate your housework & cooking (although your food is GREAT :). Take time to listen & just BE!"

3) The Woman at the Well - Because of the choices she made, she expected to be treated with criticism & condemnation, so it was a surprise when Jesus spoke to her. I think she felt forgiven after her encounter w/ Him & no longer afraid of what others thought. I, too, struggle with the opinions of others & comparing myself to them. Meeting Jesus at the well would help me to see myself as He sees me, beyond the offenses I've committed. His opinion of me is the ONLY one that matters.

The last two came from reflections I made on a women's retreat several years ago. The Sister who led us based the sessions on several stories from the book Soul Sisters by Edwina Gateley & Louis S. Glanzman. (I get no credit for mentioning this book...I just really enjoyed how it was used for the retreat!) It is a collection of portraits & reflections on women of the New Testament.

Rather than tag three people for this meme, I'm just going to say that, if the Spirit moves you to participate, just let me know. I'd love to read yours! Thanks, Judy, for inviting me to participate!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Those are awesome choices... all three of them moved me, but the second especially. I love the perspective you put them in, and will have something to meditate on now. This was such a great meme!