Unless otherwise specified, all writing here on my blog is my own original work. If you refer to something I've written here, please be sure to give me proper credit.

COMMENTS ARE MODERATED: Please don't let that deter you from commenting, though. I LOVE to read your thoughts! I only ask that you keep it clean & respectful.

Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Prodigal Son

I love to read & always have at least one book going. Occasionally something in a books jumps out at me & I love to share it with others. So, from time to time, I'll post a few snippets I've picked up.

I am currently reading "The Return of the Prodigal Son" by Henri J.M. Nouwen. Many years ago he came across Rembrandt's painting of the Prodigal Son & was captivated. He spent years studying it & this book compiles his thoughts on the Prodigal Son, the Elder Son, & the Father. I've just finished the Part One on the Prodigal Son. Two ideas specifically jumped out at me & I'd like to share them with you.

1) The Prodigal Son's asking for his inheritance is much more than just wanting to go his own way. It is a rejection to his father & family. He requests not only his inheritance, but the right to dispose of his part so that his father cannot live off the proceeds.

"Here the younger son gets, and thus is assumed to have demanded, disposition to which, even more explicitly, he has no right until the death of his father. The implication of 'Father, I cannot wait for you to die' underlies both requests....The son's 'leaving' is, therefore, a much more offensive act than it seems at first reading. It is a heartless rejection of the home in which the son was born and nurtured and a break with the most precious tradition carefully upheld by the larger community of which he was a part." (pg. 36)
2) This is not such a new thought to many, but it really struck me: In telling the parable, Jesus is seeing himself as the Prodigal Son. Nouwen quotes Frere Pierre Marie, compares God to the Prodigal Son's father & shows that after Jesus rose from the dead & ascended into Heaven, God greeted him:
"Then in the silence, looking at his Son and all his children, since his Son had become all in all, the Father said th his servants, 'Quick! Bring out the best robe and put it on him; put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet; let us eat and celebrate! Because my childrne who, as you know, were dead have returned to life; they were lost and have been found again! My prodigal Son has brought them all back.' They all began to have a feast dressed in their long robes, washed white in the blood of the Lamb." (pg. 57)
An interesting, thought-provoking read so far. I can't wait to get into Part 2 & 3, about the Elder Son & the Father.


Peace,
munchesmom

0 comments: