Unless otherwise specified, all writing here on my blog is my own original work. If you refer to something I've written here, please be sure to give me proper credit.

COMMENTS ARE MODERATED: Please don't let that deter you from commenting, though. I LOVE to read your thoughts! I only ask that you keep it clean & respectful.

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Relay for Life

What a weekend! For the seventh year in a row, our Small Church Community participated in the American Cancer Society's main fundraiser: Relay for Life. It was started by a doctor in Tacoma, Washington in 1985 as a way to raise money for cancer research & awareness programs. Since then it has grown to over 1,000 events across the country. Relay is a unique walk-run event in which teams keep at least one member walking or running the track throughout the overnight event.

Seven years ago, we decided that we wanted to do something to give back to the community. We chose Relay for Life because cancer has affected all of us in one way or another - family, friends, even members of our group. Little did we know when we began, that one of our members would have cancer. He lost his battle a few years ago.

Our team has managed to raise over $25,000 in our seven years. This year has been our largest, currently at just over $4,640 (& we still have donations coming in).

DH & I took the kids yesterday & had a great time. The kids did very well, considering that the event started at Noon & we didn't leave until almost 11pm. The Prophet & Daddy had gone at 8:30am to help set up. We all did a lot of walking & eating. We took plenty of snacks & also bought food there. The kids got to play some of the games that various teams sponsored.

This is a wonderful way to teach the kids about helping others. We've talked about how the money goes to help those who have cancer. The Prophet & I had a great conversation when we were walking the track together. We named those people we are walking for - those who currently have cancer, those in remission, & those we have lost. He & I also talked about other things we, as a family, have done for those less fortunate. At one point he looked at me & said, "Mommy, we've been talking a lot about God." He has such a caring soul at six years old.

Cancer has touched so many lives & there are so many different forms it scares me. I told DH a few weeks ago that I don't fear whether I will get cancer at some point in my life. No, my fear is which type I will get. Pray for those with cancer. Relay's motto: "There's no finish line until we find a cure."

Peace,
Munchesmom

0 comments: