Unless otherwise specified, all writing here on my blog is my own original work. If you refer to something I've written here, please be sure to give me proper credit.

COMMENTS ARE MODERATED: Please don't let that deter you from commenting, though. I LOVE to read your thoughts! I only ask that you keep it clean & respectful.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Deo Gratias - In Memory

  https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhgmWC0xzWdo85CoaTymct-DPUVIesyQO84RARauQ38_rEGBhogYluEZH0R8VbLnHEOrcNWHuTcxoRUiJ_8p4-UWgU7JFjHOfY939JA4yvSH5rL9aPljyuu_1ysGsch71M0FyqBkT2ZUMI/s1600/deo-gratias+buttom.jpg
"If the only prayer you ever say in your life is thank you, it will be enough." - Meister Eckhart


Colleen, from her inspiring blog Thoughts on Grace, hosts this wonderful meme each Wednesday. She says, "Deo Gratias is Latin for Thanks be to God. Remembering to give thanks for all of our blessings, big & small, helps us to find God in our everyday moments and gives us an attitude of gratitude!"

Each week, I join Colleen in remembering & sharing the many blessings in my life. This is such a great exercise for me, helping me to focus on the good that truly is happening in my life, no matter how many trials & stresses I may have.
**********
Matt's aunt passed away over the weekend. She is The Professor's oldest (95 years old) sister. I'd like to use my Deo Gratias today in honor of Aunt M.

1) When she found out she had breast cancer a few years ago, she chose not to get treatment or even see how far it had progressed. At her age, I would've done the same thing. I think it gave more quality to her final years w/out feeling the ill effects of chemo or radiation. Deo Gratias! 

2) Aunt M. was a wonderful cook. Until this past year or so, every time we visited, she had her homemade Mexican rice & other delectable Mexican treats for us. I remember going to my first family reunion & Aunt M. had prepared a huge batch of her rice. Everyone loved it & there was hardly any left! Deo Gratias!

3) On one of our trips to visit her last year, she showed me how to make her rice. It's one of those unwritten recipes passed down through families. I've made it several times &, even though it will never be exactly like hers, it comes close. Deo Gratias!

4) She was a great caretaker. She cared for her parents until they passed away in the mid 80s. Until a little over a year ago, The Professor lived w/ her & she had taken care of him for many years, before he moved in w/ my SIL. Whenever we would visit her, she'd always be up serving & making sure we were taken care of before sitting down to eat. Deo Gratias!

5) Aunt M. is no longer suffering. I know her final months were full of much pain & discomfort. She was strong in her Catholic Faith & truly led an wonderful example for all who knew her. Deo Gratias!

Rest in Peace, Aunt M. We'll miss you dearly, but know that your pain & suffering are now gone. May the Lord welcome you w/ open arms into His Heavenly Kingdom. 

0 comments: