Unless otherwise specified, all writing here on my blog is my own original work. If you refer to something I've written here, please be sure to give me proper credit.

COMMENTS ARE MODERATED: Please don't let that deter you from commenting, though. I LOVE to read your thoughts! I only ask that you keep it clean & respectful.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Book Review: The Gospel Truth

My most recent book review is The Gospel Truth: A Lectionary-Based Catechism for Adults by Kenneth Ogorek.

Using the Sunday Gospel readings for all three years of the lectionary cycle, Mr. Ogorek has prepared an average of two pages of reading & reflection. "It is meant to help facilitate a basic reflection on the Sunday Gospel readings and various points of Catholic doctrine that they call to mind." (pg. xi)

Following the Gospel reading, there is a "Truths of Our Catholic Faith" section. This is a reflection that ties the Gospel to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, with passages cited. This book conforms to the Catechism & "...was submitted to the USCCB for the conformity review." (pg. xi)

Next is a gray box that has three questions. A Question for Me relates the Gospel to my life, For a Child in My Life helps me to help my children understand the Gospel on their levels, & My Role in the Community gives me ideas on spreading the Gospel beyond our home &/or guiding me through my role in my parish.

Underneath the box is a section to further your study of the Sunday Gospel. It lists the other readings & Psalm for the day, page references for the United States Catholic Catechism for Adults. & a Bible verse for reflection.

I've only used my copy for the past month & have already decided that it is a great reference for our family to have on hand. Taking only 15-20 minutes to study the following Sunday's readings has really helped me to focus more on the Mass each week.

My favorite reflection so far comes from the Year C 4th Sunday of Advent Gospel, Luke 1:39-45, in which Mary visits her cousin Elizabeth. This Gospel is one of the best in regards to Pro-Life messages, linked to the Catechism #2323, & it was reflected in Mr. Ogorek's writing:

"Elizabeth does not say 'the blob of tissue in my womb seemed to leap for joy.' Filled with the Holy Spirit, Elizabeth knows that she carries within her a human person, a divinely-created being with integrity and priceless dignity. And Mary is not referred to as 'the woman who may become the mother of my Lord if and when the bundle of cells in her womb becomes a person at some debatable point.' To Elizabeth, both the mother of her Lord as well as the unborn Lord Himself, have come."

This book retails for $20, a great price since you receive all the Sunday Gospels for three years. This review was done as part of The Catholic Company's reviewer program.

1 comments:

Ken :) said...

The author (me) greatly appreciates your review. May God bless you in all your good work. Ken Ogorek (really) :)