Unless otherwise specified, all writing here on my blog is my own original work. If you refer to something I've written here, please be sure to give me proper credit.

COMMENTS ARE MODERATED: Please don't let that deter you from commenting, though. I LOVE to read your thoughts! I only ask that you keep it clean & respectful.

Monday, December 27, 2010

2010 Goal Review

Remember this post from the beginning of the year? 2010 Goals I figured goals would be easier to accomplish than resolutions. As the year is just about over, I thought I'd take a little time to review those goals. I had narrowed this list down to six broad goals. Then in a notebook, I broke each down. So, let's see how I did:

1) EAT BETTER (more fruits, veggies, & whole grains; less sugar & desserts; more water)

While I do eat mostly wheat/grain breads, I didn't do as well upping the fruits & veggies. And sweets? That's my downfall, especially this time of year! I did well on the water for a while & just recently, I've started drinking more...especially at work on Saturdays where there is a water cooler right in my office.

2) EXERCISE (walking; stretching exercises I found in a magazine; buy a Wii Fit - & use it!)

I did well for a while. I was doing the Wii Fit at least 4x a week & when the weather was nicer, I'd take walks w/ the munchkins around the neighborhood. Unfortunately, as my back started to bother me more, I couldn't keep these up. At the moment I'm caught between a rock & a hard place...I want to exercise & I should to strengthen my core muscles, but the more I do the more my back hurts. We'll see what the neuro surgeon says.

3) DECLUTTER / ORGANIZE THE WHOLE HOUSE (regular cleaning schedule; go room by room to declutter; organize files & recipes; make family binder; update family medical files)

I made up a regular cleaning schedule & a room by room list, but we never followed it completely. There were a couple areas that I really got cleared out, including our master bedroom. However, w/ four munchkins, it seems like there is ALWAYS clutter. The one thing I did start was to never leave a room w/out first making it a little better than it was when I entered. This can be as simple as picking a pillow off the floor & putting it back on the couch. I never did make it to the files & recipes.

4) BUDGET / FINANCIAL ORGANIZATION (get back on track w/ Dave Ramsey's plan; make & stick to a budget; pay off bills & start saving more; use an envelope system for cash)

While we are not debt-free yet, we did pay off a few bills & are now down to just a couple. We have stopped using credit cards...a big savings right there! One of the things that helped was that I started working on Saturdays. It is a big sacrifice for our family at this time, but I really think it is a good plan for our family at this time.

5) FAMILY (make a weekly family night; more family meals even if Daddy's not home from work; catch up w/ & stay on track for school; less yelling & more encouragement; chore chart for all)

We haven't been able to do a family night every week like I wanted, but we have definitely managed to spend more time together as a family. We do make sure that we eat together as much as possible. As to school, I think we've done great at staying on track...more so than in the past. We still have moments of frustration & not liking school, but much less than the past. I still need to work on the chore chart...I created one, but we haven't stayed on track. I do try to have a "clutter drill" for the munchkins a few times a day. This helps to keep the mess down a bit throughout the day.

One of the things I really tried to do was take the time to listen to the munchkins instead of trying to accomplish something else at the same time. I would stop what I was doing & look into their eyes. This shows them that I really am listening & that they are important!

6) PERSONAL (more spiritual time; start day earlier; get back to my creative outlets of scrapbooking & stamping)

I think the personal goals were the ones I did the best with. I've spent more time in prayer & reflection this year...still not as much as I'd like, but more than the past. With the exception of a few days here & there, I've done well keeping up w/ the daily readings. I use The Word Among Us & I love their reflections on the days readings. They have great articles in each book, too. Also, having not been a big rosary pray-er in the past, I have spent more time w/ it this year & find it very comforting. I've found myself to be more easy going...not stressing, especially over this out of my control. I think the deeper prayer life has contributed to this.

As to my creative outlet, I've resigned myself to the fact that scrapbooking & rubber stamping just aren't going to happen for a while. I've been able to hand make a few Christmas gifts & other items throughout the year & I do try to do some of the kids art projects w/ them. So, for now, I think that's what I can manage.


Overall, I don't think I did too bad. Yes, there were many things that didn't get done, but throughout the year, other things came up that became more important. We've had to deal w/ my back issues which really limited a lot of things I that I wanted to accomplish. The Archangel was diagnosed w/ ADHD, so there have been many trips to doctors, psychologists, & pharmacies. The heat of the summer was horrible this year, so many of the outdoor things I wanted to do were either postponed or canceled. But, if you look back at all my posts for A Thankful Woman's Book of Blessings every Wednesday & Small Successes every Thursday, you can see that life has been good to us.

In less than one week, we begin a new year. I think I'll spend some time reflecting on this past year & rework my goals for 2011. I'm thinking that these goals will probably be the same, just modified a bit.

I wish you & your families a very Happy New Year...full of many wonderful blessings!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Good for you! I never make resolutions, because I never keep them. Plus, whatever I seemed to think I needed at the begining of the year always proves totally different by the end of the year.
I admire people that are consistant enough to keep up with goals and not get depressed over falling short!

Angela said...

I think that you did a fabulous job, my friend! :D

Unknown said...

Good job - you hit something in each and sometimes that is all we can do :)

Have a great rest of 2010!