Unless otherwise specified, all writing here on my blog is my own original work. If you refer to something I've written here, please be sure to give me proper credit.

COMMENTS ARE MODERATED: Please don't let that deter you from commenting, though. I LOVE to read your thoughts! I only ask that you keep it clean & respectful.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Gospel Spoke to Me (Part Two)

A few weeks ago I posted about a Gospel reading that spoke to me (see here). I'm still trying to figure it all out, but like I said, I may never completely get it. I do have some more thoughts that I will post soon, but for now...

He's not giving up!

Yesterday, in my morning Bible time, I read Matthew 25:14-30, the one where the man hands his funds over to three servants while he goes away. The first two take their shares & invest them, doubling the amounts for the man's return. The third, however, buries his share & in turn, had it taken away when the man returned.

I've read & heard this passage many times in my life, but never really understood it. It didn't take me long to "hear" what God was trying to tell me in this parable this time around. God is the man going away for a time, I am one of the servants, & my children are the "funds" entrusted to my care. Which servant am I? I would love to say that I am one of the first two, investing everything to make sure their faith & love for God multiplies over time. However, I'm not sure God would see it that way. I get selfish & lazy at times. I get wrapped up in my own activities & don't want to be "bothered." I KNOW it's wrong & try to do better.

One of my focuses this Lent has been to reduce my internet time. This has been a tremendous effort on my part & I think I have done quite well. It's enabled me to spend more time w/ the munchkins. I've also tried to stop yelling at them...another tremendous effort. There have been many opportunities & while I haven't been perfect, I've really reduced the volume of my voice. I am trying to be more present in their lives instead of observing from the sideline. Many of the problems we encounter come from my attitude & actions. I've made many mistakes in the past, but am desperately trying to rectify them & change MY ways.

Through much prayer, reflection, & personal choice, I CAN & WILL be one of those first two servants!

1 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow. I love your thoughts on this. I never thought of the talents as our children, that makes so much sense! What a challenge. Thank you for sharing!