Unless otherwise specified, all writing here on my blog is my own original work. If you refer to something I've written here, please be sure to give me proper credit.

COMMENTS ARE MODERATED: Please don't let that deter you from commenting, though. I LOVE to read your thoughts! I only ask that you keep it clean & respectful.

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Lesson

I've wanted to try a lapbook w/ The Prophet for a while now. I found information about elections & thought today would be a great day to do one. We spent about an hour & a half this morning compiling it & he really enjoyed it.


First, we started our day w/ our regulars prayers & the Pledge of Allegiance. I disected the Pledge so that the munchkins would understand what they're saying & why.

For the lapbook, I first had him color a picture of the US flag to put on the cover. On the inside, we had several different shaped pop-ups w/ information of various aspects of elections, including the following:

    - a Comparison of the two major parties

- a Vocabulary list

- Why is it Important to Vote?

- When is Election Day?

- VOTE - which answers questions pertaining to The Prophet (How old he has to be to vote, How many years until he can first vote, & What year that will be)

- Guidelines for candidates (age & US residency)

Once they were completed, I had him color them & arrange them on the file folder however he wanted them. (With my scrapbooking background, this was tough for me since he didn't put them in a layout I would do, but this is his after all!) He finished it off by adding foil star stickers & sqiggles to fill in the spaces. His finished product turned out quite well & we look forward to future lapbooks. I think after the first of the year, we'll do a state study & make one for each state.

1 comments:

Bondfam said...

That's awesome! I tried lapbooks with
Pokemon King, but he just couldn't get into them. I wish I would've thought about trying one for election-time. Way to go, Prophet!