Unless otherwise specified, all writing here on my blog is my own original work. If you refer to something I've written here, please be sure to give me proper credit.

COMMENTS ARE MODERATED: Please don't let that deter you from commenting, though. I LOVE to read your thoughts! I only ask that you keep it clean & respectful.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Catholic Company Book Review - Raising Good Kids: Back to Family Basics

If you haven't heard of Dr. Ray Guarendi, you're missing out! He is a father of ten, psychologist, radio talk-show host, author, speaker, & all around funny guy! I frequently find myself giggling when listening to his radio show or reading his books.

Using his familiar wit & wisdom and drawing on his experiences, he has written Raising Good Kids: Back to Family Basics. This little guide (only 63 pages) gives readers five building blocks for being successful parents. Along w/ the Introduction, the book contains five chapters, one for each idea...Time, Communication, Discipline, Respect, & Mortality. Each chapter also includes quotes from parents across the county sharing their thought related to the idea. One of the things I love about Dr. Ray's writing is his choice of children's names when he uses examples... Rocky for the child always hitting his siblings or Charity for the daughter who loves to donate things.

If you've never read his book, Back to the Family (authored w/ David Eich), then this book will be a good starting point for you. It highlights the main points covered in that book, but in a shorter version...great if you are pressed for time & just want to catch the basics. It's perfect for parents who don't have a lot of time, but want to get started right away in getting back to the basics of parenting. (But I'm sure you don't know any parents pressed for time, do you? LOL!)

Even though I had previously read the other, I found many things I'd forgotten. This was a great book for refreshing my mind on things I'd learned before. So, either way, you won't go wrong in reading Raising Good Kids: Back to Family Basics by Dr. Ray Guarendi.

This review was written as part of the Catholic book reviewer program from The Catholic Company. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on Raising Good Kids: Back to Family Basics . They are also a great source for serenity prayer and baptism gifts.

0 comments: